Skinny chicken alfredo lasagne
One of my favourite foods is lasagne. For this reason, I decided it would be nice to mix it up a little and cook a healthier chicken alfredo lasagne.
Cook time: 45 minutes
Serves: 8 servings
Preheat oven to 180 degrees
• 4 chicken breasts
• 4 cups of water
• chicken stock
• 1 medium cauliflower cut into florets
• 4 large garlic cloves
• 3 cups of sliced mushrooms
• 3 cups of spinach
• spoonful of butter
• 1 cup of low calorie grated cheddar
• 1 cup of low calorie grated mozzarella
• packet of oven ready lasagne sheets
• ground black pepper
• optional: ground nutmeg
1. Fill a baking dish with some water and place the chicken breast in the water. Place in the oven and cook for 20 to 25 minutes. Drain the chicken and set aside until the chicken has cooled down. Cut the chicken into fine chunks.
Then set aside whilst making the alfredo sauce.
2. Fill a large pot with 4 cups of water and stir in chicken stock. Add 4 cups of water. Then bring the liquid to a boil. Add cauliflower florets, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender.
3. Once the cauliflower is tender, transfer to the food processor or blend. Add 1 cup of the chicken stock and process for about 3-4 minutes until the cauliflower and stock create a smooth sauce. Add 1 cup of mozzarella, 1 cup of grated cheddar. Season with cracked black pepper and process again until smooth.
4. Take out 1 1/2 cups of the sauce and set aside.
5. For the filling: melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (approximately 30 seconds). Add sliced mushroom and cook until they soften. Then add the spinach and cook until it's wilted (shrinks considerably). Add the chicken breast and the Alfredo sauce (not the 1 1/2 cups set aside). Mix until all of the ingredients are well combined. Add more salt and pepper to suit your taste (I use a lot).
6. Assembling the lasagne: spray a large baking dish with frylight spray, or the equivalent. Cover the bottom of the dish with lasagne sheets (usually 2 or 3). Top with half of the chicken alfredo mixture. Add another 2 or 3 lasagne sheets. Add the rest of the mix. Finish with a further 2 or 3 lasagne sheets and spread the 1 1/2 cups of Alfredo sauce on top of the lasagne.
7. Cover the dish loosely with tin foil and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
8. If you like a golden top, sprinkle some more cheese ok the top and cook for an extra 10 minutes, or until golden.
9. Stuff your face!! Yum!!